Created

Jun 14, 2013

New in AEM 5.6.1: Metadata Templates

Posted by Ugo Cei

Metadata templates are a new feature in AEM DAM 5.6.1 that allows users to automatically pre-fill some of the metadata fields of assets when uploading them. This can be useful when uploading a large number of assets that must have some common metadata values, like tags or copyright information.

In order to define a metadata template, you will have to use the Digital Assets tool in the Classic UI, as there is no provision for managing metadata templates in the Touch UI yet. However, once a template has been applied to a folder, it is active regardless of the channel or interface used to upload the assets.

The definition and application of a metadata template is a two-step process. First, you need to create the metadata template proper, which is nothing more than a list of metadata fields with a name attached. Then, you have to assign the metadata template to a folder, thereby creating an instance of the template that specifies values for the fields contained in the template.

I realize this explanation sounds more complicated than it actually is in practice, so let's look at an example.

Access the Digital Assets tool of an AEM 5.6.1 instance at http://server:port/damadmin, open the "New..." menu and select "New Metadata Template...". Give the template a name and possibly a description then, in the next page of the dialog, select which metadata fields are to be included in the template.

file

To apply the newly created metadata template to a folder, select one and bring up the contextual menu by right-clicking and choose the "Apply Metadata Template..." option. In the first page of the dialog that pops up, select the metadata template you previously created and give a name to this instance.In the next page, specify actual values for one or more of the fields contained in the template. In the example of fig. we specify values for Title, Copyright, and Tags.

file

Now upload one or more assets to the folder and examine their metadata. You should see they have been filled with the values you input into the template instance.

You can now go back to the folder and change or remove the template instance. Notice that, if you do so, existing assets will not be modified. The new template instance definition will only apply to new assets.

The template instance will also se used for any subfolders of the one it is applied to, unless a different instance is applied to a descendant folder. In other words, when uploading an asset, the DAM will look for a template instance in the current folder and up its chain of ancestors, until it find one, and then it will stop. There is no way, presently, to combine different template instances as if they were one: Only the first one found is applied.

What happens when an asset already has metadata?

You might wonder what happens when you upload to a folder that is associated with a metadata template an asset that already contains some metadata that is automatically extracted, like IPTC headers. Is the value specified in the template going to be used, or is it the one inside the file? Well, the answer is both: Those fields will be created as multi-value properties under the jcr:content/metadata node, so no values from the file will be overwritten.

What happens when you move an existing asset to a folder that has a metadata template applied?

Nothing. Metadata templates are only applied when uploading new assets.

COMMENTS

• By APK - 10:23 AM on May 31, 2014   Reply
    Many Thanks.
  • By About National Benefit Authority - 1:15 PM on May 31, 2014   Reply
    Nothing. Metadata templates are only applied when uploading new assets.
    • By tidung.net - 4:54 AM on Jun 02, 2014   Reply
      Thanks.
      • By Commentmaster - 7:22 AM on Jun 03, 2014   Reply
        Excellent blog here on medical assistant! Also your web site loads up fast! What host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host? I found this blog. Brilliant and wonderful job! Your blog site has presented me most of the strategies which I like.
        • By adult traffic - 7:25 AM on Jun 03, 2014   Reply
          • By hargaandroid.com - 8:54 AM on Jun 03, 2014   Reply
            Many Thanks.
            • By Planetwin365 Poker - 12:09 PM on Jun 03, 2014   Reply
              Useful information.I am actual blessed to read this article.thanks for giving us this advantageous information.I acknowledge this post.and I would like bookmark this post.Thanks
              • By best gadgets - 3:57 AM on Jun 05, 2014   Reply
                Nice information. Thank you for sharing it with us!
                • By apk - 11:08 AM on Jun 06, 2014   Reply
                  Thanks.
                • By Cheap Traffic - 11:53 AM on Jun 07, 2014   Reply
                  Nice information. Thank you for sharing it with us!
                  • By Jasa SEO - 11:29 AM on Jun 08, 2014   Reply
                    Many Thanks.
                    • By Tattoos - 4:36 PM on Jun 08, 2014   Reply
                      Many Thanks.
                      • By step up height - 7:12 AM on Jun 09, 2014   Reply
                        My cousin was a short heighted one and his self confidence was somewhere missing out. I heard of step up from one of my friend and I brought it for him too.
                        • By Commentmaster - 8:29 PM on Jun 09, 2014   Reply
                          Actually get pleasure from this fantastic submit that you've got provided for people like us. Fantastic web page along with a wonderful topic also i really find amazed to learn to read this. Its fantastic.
                          • By Best Cash Back Websites - 10:56 AM on Jun 10, 2014   Reply
                            • By loft conversion costs London - 10:29 AM on Jul 09, 2014   Reply
                            • By Summer Jacket - 12:19 AM on Jun 11, 2014   Reply
                              You have posted an amazing blog
                              • By Summer Jacket - 12:19 AM on Jun 11, 2014   Reply
                                You have posted an amazing blog
                                • By hsbc uk contact number - 6:07 AM on Jun 11, 2014   Reply
                                  I really like your writing style. Great info....!!
                                  • By step up height increaser - 12:17 PM on Jun 11, 2014   Reply
                                    Really i am impressed from this post. The person who created this post is a genius and knows how to keep the readers connected.
                                    • By foto Wedding - 3:44 PM on Jun 11, 2014   Reply
                                      i really to say nice tools from adobe. i like it.
                                      • By step up height increaser - 4:30 AM on Jun 12, 2014   Reply
                                        • By col3 - 4:52 AM on Jun 12, 2014   Reply
                                          The pleasure of having more than a couple of episodes is going to cost you too much.Some legal websites may also allow you to watch and sometimes download episodes for free from col3neg
                                          • By find - 7:26 AM on Jun 12, 2014   Reply
                                            • By v - 7:41 AM on Jun 12, 2014   Reply
                                              Just like others, I am also happy and excited after using Stepup Height Growth. I don't have words to Thank you for the change I have got in my personality after using your product.....
                                              • By dfx audio enhancer - 5:31 PM on Jun 14, 2014   Reply
                                                I think this is a really good article. You make this information interesting and engaging. You give readers a lot to think about and I appreciate that kind of writing.
                                                • By GO here! - 7:22 AM on Jun 15, 2014   Reply
                                                  • By Here - 8:48 AM on Jun 16, 2014   Reply
                                                    couple of episodes is going to cost you too much.Some legal websites may also allow you to watch and sometimes download episodes for free reports......
                                                    • By best iphone 5 screen protectors reviews - 8:08 AM on Jun 17, 2014   Reply
                                                      In this webinar, we will continue the exciting conversations around “mobile,” focusing on the ability to deliver relevant experiences across the multitude of mobile and tablet devices available today.fdfgz
                                                      • By Obat Keputihan - 9:28 AM on Jun 22, 2014   Reply
                                                        Many Thanks.
                                                        • In the sample that I used the HTML-file pointed to the standard components (title, image, text). If you want to use your own components in the design-file you can do this like this.
                                                          • By More Details - 7:23 AM on Jul 03, 2014   Reply
                                                            Metadata templates are a new feature in AEM DAM 5.6.1 that allows users to automatically pre-fill some of the metadata fields of assets when uploading them. thanks
                                                            • By airul - 10:44 AM on Jul 06, 2014   Reply
                                                              Thanks.
                                                                • By before and after nose job - 5:43 AM on Jul 10, 2014   Reply
                                                                  • By clash of clans cheats - 11:22 AM on Jul 10, 2014   Reply
                                                                    • By Andrew Heiberger - 5:44 AM on Jul 12, 2014   Reply
                                                                    • By the venus factor book - 7:15 AM on Jul 12, 2014   Reply
                                                                      Recently, Messi's father suddenly posted information forum on media quite shocked that Leo is feeling overloaded and hard to ensure the M88 play well in the remaining matches in the 2014 World Cup.
                                                                      • By senior residences - 7:16 AM on Jul 12, 2014   Reply
                                                                        Nice post. I really like it. You have posted an amazing post. Thanks
                                                                        • By Alrazaak - 3:20 AM on Jul 15, 2014   Reply
                                                                          Thanks for such nice tutorials
                                                                          • By menu buka puasa - 8:49 AM on Jul 15, 2014   Reply
                                                                            i really to say nice tools from adobe. i like it.
                                                                            • By important site - 11:36 AM on Jul 20, 2014   Reply
                                                                              I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.
                                                                              • By important link - 6:21 AM on Jul 22, 2014   Reply
                                                                                Many of DATAllegro's customers consider our product a competitive advantage, and therefore request not to be disclosed. Here's one exception.
                                                                              • By belajar chord gitar akustik - 1:28 PM on Jul 22, 2014   Reply
                                                                                Thank
                                                                              • By Crystal X Asli - 7:38 PM on Jul 22, 2014   Reply
                                                                                i really to say nice tools from adobe. i like it.
                                                                                • By Call of Duty Advanced Warfare - 2:04 PM on Aug 21, 2014   Reply
                                                                                  Healthcare is an important subject of discussion in Africa, but often a voice of perspective is missing: the voice of the patient.
                                                                                • By Crystal X Asli - 7:38 PM on Jul 22, 2014   Reply
                                                                                  i really to say nice tools from adobe. i like it.
                                                                                  • By Brad Gosse - 12:32 PM on Jul 25, 2014   Reply
                                                                                    Seems full now, and ready for a few snatched hours before rolls of roofing day around again. one thing seems certain. He will not be back on the floor for long.
                                                                                    • By substance abuse counselor - 7:24 AM on Jul 27, 2014   Reply
                                                                                      ready for a few snatched hours before rolls of roofing day around again. one thing seems certain. He will not be back on the floor for long....
                                                                                      • By lunatik coupon - 11:25 AM on Aug 05, 2014   Reply
                                                                                        I'm excited to uncover this page. I need to to thank you for ones time for this particularly fantastic read !! I definitely really liked every part of it and i also have you saved to fav to look at new information in your site.
                                                                                        • By outdoor furniture online - 2:03 PM on Aug 05, 2014   Reply
                                                                                          • The easy to implement concepts and techniques taught in the course are designed to work on even the most stubborn children and make the entire potty training process much less frustrating and much more enjoyable for both you and your child. These techniques cover the six crucial building blocks your child must go through if you want to make potty training successful and finally put an end to icky messes, inopportune "accidents", and night time bed wetting once and for all.
                                                                                            • By alrazaak web - 11:50 AM on Aug 07, 2014   Reply
                                                                                              This is great post I love adobe products
                                                                                              • By Termite Contol Fairfax - 10:24 AM on Aug 12, 2014   Reply